Thursday, April 18, 2013

Jim's

Photo courtesy of Jim's Facebook page

3000 Royal St , New Orleans, Louisiana 70117

Overall Ratings (H in orange, C in purple)
Food: B+ / A-
Ambiance: B+ / A-
Service: B+ / B+ to A depending on the waitress
Drinks: A
Overall Experience: B+/ A-

H says, I might be a bit biased as Jim’s is 500 feet from my apartment but I just love the atmosphere and the food for a Saturday or Sunday morning brunch. When I first saw Jim’s I was unimpressed, but like most Bywater cafes and restaurants, looks are deceiving.

C says, H and I love to go to breakfast/brunch on the weekends, but we haven’t actually reviewed any of the places yet, so here is the first!

Overall thoughts from H: Jim’s is a lunch place Monday thru Friday with burgers, fish sandwiches, and other food. [C says, The grouper sandwich (a special) I had the other day was delish! But I want a side with my sandwich--don’t make me order chips or fries separately! It was really filling even without the side, though. Also, they now serve breakfast and lunch til they close at 4 pm] Most of the sandwiches have their own flair, and I enjoyed the fries I had there. The burger I had was very good and the bacon was great. (Note: They seem to have changed their bacon to a thinner style which in my opinion is not as good.) The sandwiches are not just average; they make sure the ingredients are fresh and they usually have some specials based on what they can get. Overall the food was very good and not too overly priced.On Saturdays and Sundays they serve brunch.

What really sets Jim’s apart in my mind is the breakfasts, however. It is just perfect as a brunch place, quiet, small, intimate, and friendly. My normal fare is eggs benedict with a side of bacon, extra sauce and a strawberry lemonade. On a Sunday morning there isn’t much better. If you are in the area definitely give it a shot. And for everyone to know, Jim’s is 10x better than Elizabeth’s. This is a nice friendly restaurant with great food and a great strawberry lemonade. I definitely recommend it.

C says, I usually have the Jim’s breakfast, which is a ton of food for the price--your choice of eggs (I usually get scrambled and add cheese, and sometimes avocado), hash browns (or you can have grits), bacon (I ask for extra crispy and they usually do a great job) and delish sourdough toast. It’s really too much food--I usually make H eat some, too. I’ve also had the eggs florentine, which is basically the eggs benedict with spinach and no ham--yum. H is right: the strawberry lemonade is quite good. The service is usually good, too, though some of the waitresses are nicer than others. It’s just a great neighborhood joint for a quick breakfast on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment