Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mariza

Photo courtesy of the Mariza website

2900 Chartres Street, New Orleans, Louisiana 70117

Overall Ratings (H in orange, C in purple)
Food:  C / B
Ambiance: B / A-
Service:  C / A-
Drinks: N/A
Overall Experience: C / B+

H says, I was really looking forward to going to Mariza. It is a spin off of a great restaurant in the French Quarter and it looked great from the outside as they were building it. Once I arrived, though, my hopes were dashed. The food was ok, the decor was ok, but the temperature of the restaurant was so cold as to detract from the experience and the prices were too high for the quality of food that we got.

C says, Mariza is very conveniently located to H’s place, so we thought we’d try it out. The first time we went, it was right after they opened, and some of the food was overseasoned and some was underseasoned. We were rather underwhelmed. After it had been open for several months, though, we decided to give it another try. They had expanded the menu a bit, but I think it is not really our style of food. Nothing on the menu is expensive, but the portions are small, so I wouldn't call it a bargain. The ambiance is nice, but both times, we just felt “meh” about the whole experience.

Overall thoughts from H: Look, Mariza would be a nice restaurant to eat at if it were in the quarter because they would be compared to other restaurants in the area. The problem is they aren’t. They are located in the Bywater, which yes is undergoing gentrification, but honestly it is still home to many small, delicious cafes and restaurants.

Mariza is just trying to be more than it should and with so many other great options in the area, I don’t see the reason to go. I even live above the restaurant and my laziness isn’t even enough incentive to go ever again. I tried it twice and both times I was disappointed. The food was just well...too exotic. They are trying to do a weird spin on Italian food. The thing is, JUST DO ITALIAN, I mean come on. This is not New York, people don’t go to restaurants down here to sample crazy foods, they come for the familiar, the family and good food. [C says, I would disagree with that, and I don’t think the menu is that exotic, but it is not Creole Italian or your standard red sauce and fettuccine Alfredo Italian, which is what I think H prefers. We could both find things on the menu we would like, but not much we would BOTH like, and we like to share things when we go out, so it makes the place less appealing.]

The dishes I had were Tuna carpaccio which was good but over seasoned, a hanger steak which was cooked (I was not offered an option of doneness) to medium rare which was fine but the sauce they added was not enjoyable. There was no bread as you would expect with most restaurants and the service was terrible. [C says, I would not say the service was terrible, but we do both love our bread.  It’s one of the first things we look for at a restaurant. H is just complaining about the service because once he decides he doesn’t like a place, he wants out ass quickly as possible.] I had to eyeball our waiter to finally get the check. Now they are new and they could improve but for now, don’t go. Pass by; go eat at Bacchanal. Trust me, you will be better off.

Burrata Appetizer - Photo courtesy of Mariza website
C says, I had the burrata appetizer, which was overseasoned and, in my opinion, overpriced, but good, and the squid-ink seafood pasta, which was underseasoned, the first time we went. The second time, I had the soft shell crab special, which was quite tasty, but a pretty small serving for an entree. As I said above, the decor is nice, we like the bottles of water on the table (and they have added little dishes of sea salt since the first visit--maybe they were getting complaints about the seasoning?), and overall the ambiance is good. The menu just isn’t to our tastes. You’re much better off at Maurepas Foods or Bacchanal. And if you do go, DON’T PARK IN NOCCA’S LOT. You’ll regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment