Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Boston Eats

C says, I have been fortunate enough to be in Boston for a few days, unfortunately without H. So, I am diverting from our usual format to give a short run-down of where I’ve eaten. H says, not that she stopped telling me about all the delicious food she was eating while I was at work. It’s like water torture for me. I love Boston.

Legal seafoods: http://www.legalseafoods.com/ (various locations) 

You can’t throw a rock in Boston without hitting Legal Seafoods, but this is an iconic, quality chain. It was my first stop in Boston. I had a cup of clam chowder and the mussels, and on the subsequent visit, the lobster bisque. The bisque was divine--it edges out the chowder for yumminess--but is extremely rich. The mussels were nothing short of AMAZING. Nicely spicy, perfectly sauced, and some nice, crusty rolls to go with. The appetizer portion is quite generous, and the combo of that and the chowder had me stuffed. I was tempted to try the lobster roll, but when lobster is  $3-$5/lb up here, the cheapest in years, your “market price” of $23.95 does not seem like a good deal! That price was not completely out of line with other places, though you can even get a lobster roll at chains like Panera and Au Bon Pain up here. H says, much like a BMW, you are paying a bit of a premium to eat at Legal Seafood, but there is no denying the quality.

Boston Chowda Co: http://www.bostonchowda.com/

Voted the best clam chowda in Boston, so I had to try  them out. The chowder was absolutely delish, very affordable, and narrowly edges out Legal for tastiness. I got the lobster roll combo, which was a lobster roll, chowder, and a drink for $16.95. The lobster roll is the mayo-style lobster salad on a traditional top-split bun that has been grilled. Tasty, but again, very rich.

Sweet Cupcakes: http://www.sweetcupcakes.com/

I stopped in for a small cupcake (about $1.75). I got the chocolate with chocolate frosting. The frosting was not overly sweet, but there was so much of it--probably as much frosting as cake, which is  not my ideal ratio. Not bad, but n ot mind-blowing. Sucre at home in  NOLA is my benchmark for cupcakes, and they didn‘t make the grade. An affordable sweet treat, though. i ,will say that the cupcake I had at a conference function at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel was better.

Towne: http://towneboston.com/

I went to Towne for a conference-related function, so I didn’t order off of the menu, but the food they catered for the event was delicious (mostly antipasto, and a really tasty Israeli cous cous and calamari salad, thin crust Margherita pizza, etc.)

Teuscher Chocolates: http://www.teuscherboston.com/


Two pieces cost me almost $4. I had the caramel truffle and some sort of nougat concoction. They were tasty, but did not live up to the 3 pieces I picked up from the Lindt store, which were  also cheaper. It was an  interesting little shop, but I’d recommend heading to Lindt instead!

Skipjack’s: https://www.skipjacks.com/
I had the cioppino, which was delish! Shrimp,calamari, mussels, and scallops in a lobster-tomato broth with a piece of garlic toast. I would have liked more bread, but it was very good. My friend had the seafood Cobb salad, which was huge, with shrimp, smoked salmon, and lobster salad on it. He said it was great. H says, Oh, god why aren’t I in Boston too :(...most fantastic city on the East Coast.

House of Siam: http://houseofsiamboston.com/

I was excited to go eat some Thai because I love it and H never wants to go with me. I stumbled upon this place, so I decided to go in, since they were prominently advertising multiple awards for being the best Thai in Boston. The restaurant was cute and each table had a vase with 3 fresh roses, which was a sweet touch. I got the pad thai, because I usually like to test out a Thai place on that basic, popular dish. It was a big portion, came quickly,and was pretty tasty.Not the best I’ve ever had, but I was satisfied. However, shortly after leaving the restaurant I broke out in hives all over my face and shoulders! I don’t have any food allergies that I know of, so it was very strange. I have to assume it was the food , though because I don’t think I encountered anything else in  the meantime. So, I don’t think I’d go back, just to be safe.  H says, ok might leave that off my list...

No comments:

Post a Comment