Saturday, September 1, 2012

New England Ice Cream

H says, First off, I love ice cream. If I could, I would eat nothing but it. This is a short list of ice cream eateries that we tried while on vacation. I might be biased but trust me, the ratings are accurate. C says, I love ice cream, too--who doesn’t? But Henry is crazy for the stuff. He didn’t want to go a single day without it while we were on vacay.
Emack & Bolio's
http://www.emackandbolios.com/
C and I arrived on Cape Cod late in the evening and I decided that I would introduce her to the amazing market up the street that had its own ice cream place. It used to be a Ben and Jerry’s but had changed to Emack and Bolio’s. One word for it: Horrendous. Absolutely the worst ice cream I have ever had. Not creamy, not tasty. It wasn’t even that sweet. I honestly don’t understand how they could make ice cream so bland and tasteless. I even tried a milkshake much later in the trip and even it was not very good. My dad went there a couple of nights ago and he asked for a sundae with hot fudge...at 8pm on a weekend on Cape Cod...they said they were out. Seriously!? How is that even possible? The next night he tried again and they were still out. Take my advice and avoid  this ice cream chain like the plague, just awful. C says, I had seen an outlet of E&B’s in Boston, so I was interested to try it. It really wasn’t very good--not completely inedible, but not enjoyable. Don’t waste the calories.

Katie's Ice Cream
http://www.katiesicecreamcapecod.com/

To  be fair, this location is owned by my aunt, but it is by far the best ice cream you will ever have. It is made on site every day and is amazing. Smooth, creamy and delicious best describe the ice cream here. The Cape Cod Sand is their special recipe they don’t tell anyone what is in it. (C says, they won’t even describe it--they just offer you a taste if you ask about it.) I highly recommend it. My favorite is normally the cookie dough, but this year they had a cake batter ice cream that was to die for. Just the best, I had it in sundaes, milkshakes and as a quart I bought and brought home to eat. C says, Henry is definitely biased, but the ice cream is honestly superb. I tried at least 10 different flavors, and they were all good. I’d especially recommend the Cape Cod Mud, Cape Cod Sand, and Harminty.

Smitty’s Homemade Ice Cream
https://www.facebook.com/smittysic

There was another place on the Mashpee rotary that we tried, it was ok but nothing to write home about. My suggestion is if you are ever on Cape Cod drive out to Katies and have a scoop, or 5. You will not be disappointed. C says, I thought this place was pretty good. H didn’t like it as much because they didn’t have rainbow sprinkles. But I had a scoop of the coffee oreo flavor and it was creamy and delicious, and H had soft serve which was also good. So if you are stopping at the seafood shop next door to get some lobsters, you might as well grab some ice cream, too.

Sea Swirl
http://www.seaswirlofmystic.com/

The good news was that back in Connecticut my favorite place for soft serve had not changed at all. Sea Swirl is located in Mystic, CT, right near the coast and a small stream. It is a lovely place to get some fried seafood and have soft serve. I got chocolate and vanilla with rainbow sprinkles in a large waffle cone--the perfect way to have soft serve. So if you are ever in or driving by Mystic stop over at Sea Swirl and give it a go. It is wonderful. C says, The soft serve at Sea Swirl was quite yummy. The corn fritters were ok, too, but much more fritter than corn.

Just an FYI for people not from New England, all of these ice cream stores are closed in the off season.

No comments:

Post a Comment