Monday, June 3, 2013

Boucherie

8115 Jeannette St, NOLA
Overall Ratings (H in orange, C in purple)
Food:  B- / B++
Ambiance: B / A
Service: C / B+
Drinks: C
Overall Experience: C / B+
Photo courtesy of the Boucherie Facebook page

H says, Not impressed. I was looking forward to dinner with Caitlin, but I hadn’t really read much about the restaurant. It was converted from a house to a restaurant and it is very cramped inside. I felt that they tried to fit one too many tables into the space. Also I felt the service was slow for such a small place. Normally I am ok with it, but it just felt off to me.

C says, I had heard good things about Boucherie, so I suggested to H that we try it out. The restaurant is tucked away in a little uptown cottage off of Carrollton, though they also run a big purple food truck sometimes spotted around town. The truck serves much more casual fare than the restaurant, though the restaurant is not expensive (but portions are not overly generous, either).

Overall thoughts from H:
First off, don’t go. It’s inexpensive but the portions are not great and the portion size is quite small. We had the mussels appetizer and it was well...terrible. It was basically just boiled mussels. The grit bread that they served with it was good but the mussels themselves just tasted like mussels; there was nothing to the broth. Not a fan. I ordered brisket and fries as my main course and I was planning on having a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon but they didn’t have one listed. I was a bit shocked honestly. I had never been to a restaurant that didn’t have a simple glass of Cabernet available. So I ended up skipping any of the drinks (they seemed overly expensive) and just went with water. The brisket was quite good but also quite small. It’s not overly expensive, but I did feel let down by the portions. Honestly, I could have gotten more and better from The Joint for about ½ the cost. We ended up skipping dessert and I was glad to leave. Never going back.

Overall thoughts from C:
I think H’s review is way too negative! The restaurant is small, and they do have as many tables in there as they can, but I didn’t find it cramped; I thought it was cozy, and the decor is very nice. I would describe the service as leisurely; I was a little annoyed that they didn’t bring silverware right away, but that was pretty much my only complaint. H was turned off right away when he saw that the wines by the glass didn’t include a Cabernet. First, they bring an amuse bouche; it was a snapper terrine, which was pretty tasty--I would guess that they change this up depending upon what they have, but maybe it’s always snapper! We ordered the mussels first--as H said, the grits crackers that came with it were great, and the collard greens were delish (H didn’t try them), but the mussels themselves were a little underwhelming--I’m not sure if they were cooked separately, but they didn’t seem to soak up the flavor of the sauce much. It was a small portion, but most mussel appetizers tend to be overly generous, honestly. I had the blue cheese gnocchi for an entree. It was quite good--not nearly as good as Herbsaint, though! It was also a small portion and when it first arrived I was rather surprised at how small it seemed, but by the time I ate it, I was not disappointed. I didn’t really need a bigger serving. I also tried some of H’s fries, which were pretty tasty. So, I gave the food a B++ not because it wasn’t good, but because the portions are moderate and mostly because there is not a lot on the menu I would actually order; most of what they offer is meatier than I prefer. I don’t think we will be back, but I certainly wasn’t as disappointed as H was. [I will also note that I gave him 3 choices for dinner, and he picked this one, so he can’t blame it all on me!]

No comments:

Post a Comment