Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Oyster Festival

Woldenberg Park, NOLA
Early June


Overall Ratings (H in orange, C in purple)
Food:   A / A
Ambiance: A / A
Music:   A-
Drinks: A
Overall Experience: A / A


H says, I didn’t go to this last year for some reason; boy did I miss out. [C says, I think he did go, but he says I am thinking of the Seafood festival, not the Oyster Fest...] I had a blast, even though I was melting in the heat. The food here was amazing. The only thing that I felt wasn’t very good was Drago’s, which is sad because normally their oysters are amazing. This year though they didn’t have enough butter and sauce on them. They were just cooked oysters :( . My favorite by far was the Fried Oyster Taco from GW Fins. It was amazing. Too bad they don’t offer it at their restaurant. If you are in town, you have to go. Period. I wouldn’t fly down for it as French Quarter fest and Mardi Gras are better but it is definitely ranked up there as far as fun and food goes.

C says, I love a good festival, so I thought we would give you some thoughts on what we sampled at the recent Oyster Festival here in NOLA. The menu will probably change somewhat by next year, but this will give you an idea of what to expect. Plus, the dishes are from restaurants around town, so maybe it will give you an idea of some new places to eat!

Dishes we tried:
Shrimp and Oyster Eggrolls from Arnaud’s: Quite tasty, with a nice dipping sauce. These, to me, were really spring rolls, not eggrolls (different wrapper), but yummy nonetheless!

1/2 Dozen Charbroiled Oysters from Drago’s: Generally, we’d recommend these highly, but they were skimpy with the butter this time. They know better than that! Hopefully this was just a fluke.

Fried Oyster Taco from G W Fins: Pretty simple, but absolutely delicious. Our favorite thing.

"St. Louis" Po-Boy: Fried Oysters, Bacon and Provel Cheese from Katie’s: Pretty darn tasty. Bacon was nice and crisp.

Sno Balls from Original New Orleans Snoballs: They never have cherry, which is my preferred flavor, but the strawberry was pretty good!

Oyster Pastries from Royal House: Two puff pastry shells topped with a spinach and artichoke sauce and a fried oyster atop each. Not overly generous with the oysters, but tasty.

Friends said the Bacon & Tasso crusted oysters w/ dill fondu from Cafe Reconcile were amazing and also enjoyed the BBQ shrimp po-boy (but I don’t see the one she had listed on the website, so I am not sure where it was from!)

No comments:

Post a Comment