Thursday, June 27, 2013

Clancy's

6100 Annunciation Street New Orleans, Louisiana .
(504) 895-1111


Overall Ratings (H in orange, C in purple)
Food:  B+ / B+
Ambiance: A / A
Service:  A / A
Drinks: B+
Overall Experience: B+ / A-
Photo courtesy of Clancy's website

H says, I had been to Clancy’s before and really enjoyed it. I had planned on bringing C here eventually but, we don’t eat uptown all that often. As fate would have it, though, when we went to take my parents to Crepe Nanou, the power went down. I quickly called Clancy’s and they had a table for us upstairs.

C says, We went to Clancy’s on a fluke. H had been there before, and when the restaurant where we were supposed to have dinner lost power, he suggested Clancy’s. Since I had heard good things (and it was not in the power outage zone), away we went.

Overall thoughts:

H says, Clancy’s is a wonderful little restaurant located on a quiet corner of Uptown. The inside is very inviting, and has a family-type atmosphere. I really enjoy it. Now, the first thing you need to remember when you go is that Clancy’s does one thing really well: Meats and desserts. [C says, That’s two things...] The rest of the food is good, but nothing amazing. The lamb/steak/pork are all fabulous. C and I had an appetizer of mussels, which were good, but not amazing. I much prefer Adolfo’s still when it comes to mussels. For dinner I had a filet mignon, which was wonderful. Cooked to perfection with just the right amount of sauce and taste. The wine list is extensive and very well stocked. My parents and I shared a bottle of wine and it was very nice. Overall, I would recommend Clancy’s. It’s not in my top 5, but I would definitely go back again.

C says, Clancy’s is an upscale neighborhood restaurant--it’s smack in the middle of a residential zone. The atmosphere inside was quite nice; we sat upstairs, which was quiet and a bit secluded (only one other table in the room we were in)--I liked it. They bring hot french bread and butter to the table, as any self-respecting old school NOLA restaurant should. I thought the mussels H and I had first were delicious. We told them we wanted to split them, so they divided the serving into two bowls for us. For dinner, I had the drum with muddy waters sauce--which was invented at Uglesich’s--a NOLA restaurant that “ain’t dere no more.” It’s basically a meuniere sauce with garlic and jalapenos, and they add some parmesan on top as well. It was fine, but I wouldn’t order it again. The corn and asparagus with it were good, but the yellow rice was underseasoned. That is why I marked down the food score; Henry’s dad, who also had fish, was similarly unimpressed, whereas the meat diners (lamb and steak), were in heaven. So maybe fish just isn’t the way to go. The brownie dessert, with ice cream and hot fudge, was good, but nothing really special, and should have had a little more ice cream. The butterscotch budino (pudding) with salt and caramel sauce was heavenly, though, and H’s mom loved the fresh strawberry sorbet she had.
Budino. Photo courtesy of Clancy's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment